Who doesn’t want evenly-toned, fair-looking skin? Regardless of your race, there is a constant demand for lighter skin, which has helped to make the cosmetic whitening industry a multi-billion-dollar money-making machine.
Here’s the thing: you’ll never know what’s in the whitening product, no matter how effective it may be. There is a higher possibility it could do more harm than good, as well. Because of this, many women – and men – are going natural and opting for to use natural skin lightening home remedies fast to jumpstart their whitening process.
Get your pen and paper ready. Here are 17 simple and effective ways to lighten your skin – and to add to your home remedy treatment plan.
1. The Quest for Perfection: A Closer Look at the Skin Whitening Trend
Skin lightening, skin bleaching, skin whitening or whatever you want to call it is the cosmetic use of chemical agents to lighten your complexion. If you’ve been watching the news or spending time online, you most likely know it is currently a widespread global phenomenon.
You may not notice it if you happen to live in a land where flourishing white skin is the norm. However, it’s a different case for Asians and African countries where skin lightening is the general rule rather than the exception.
Here’s the truth: a lot of women are willing to spend their hard earned money on soaps, skin lightening creams and skin lightening lotions with “Skin White” printed on the label. In fact, some women will do whatever it takes just to achieve a lighter complexion. However, experts have recently identified the dangers that come with it.
Some of the bleaching gone wrong consequences are:
- Permanent darkening of your skin.
- Pigmentation buildup in your extremities such as fingers, ears, and toes.
- Bleach panda effect, or thinning and increased pigmentation of skin around your eyes.
- Serious allergic reactions.
- Increased risk of skin cancer due to presence of carcinogenic properties.
The good news is that you can save yourself from these dangers. Read below to find out more on the natural skin lightening remedies available to you.
2. Lemon Juice: Nature’s Answer to Natural Bleaching
When it comes to skin whitening natural remedies, lemon will always be part of the list. Here’s why:
- Contains natural astringent properties to reduce oil secretion and tighten your pores.
- The natural acidic composition helps whiten your skin naturally.
- Rich in vitamin C and antioxidants to promote skin cell growth and fair complexion.
The easiest way to use lemon is to squeeze the juice, dab the cotton ball, and apply the lemon juice on dark, pigmented areas. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing it with cool water. Make sure to do this daily to see noticeable results.
If lemon helps lighten your skin, then check out this next ingredient, which is lemon’s cousin, and find out what it can do to get lighter complexion.
3. Oranges: One of the Skin Lightening Home Remedies That Works Fast and is Safe for Your Skin
You already know that vitamin C is good for your skin and helps lighten your complexion. Aside from lemons, oranges are another fruit that is rich in vitamin C. This follows that it can also act as a bleaching agent to improve the color of your skin tone and overall texture.
There are two ways you can enjoy orange as a skin lightening tool:
- Juice It – Mix two tablespoons of orange juice with one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply on dark areas and leave it overnight. Rinse with water the next day.
- Peel It – Dry out an orange peel, and then grind it until it turns into powder. Mix it with plain yogurt then apply on dark areas in your skin. Let it stay for 20 to 30 minutes then rinse with water. Do this two to three times a week for best results.
This is just the beginning. Keep reading to learn about the different skin lightening home remedies that work treating all kinds of skin tone issues.
4. Milk: One of the Best Natural Skin Lightening Home Remedies
History once told that Cleopatra bathe herself in milk to keep her skin smooth, supple, and healthy. In fact, there is a reason why.
Milk is rich in calcium, an important component that regulates the normal skin color by stimulating melanocytes or the skin cells that produce melanin. It also supplies enough calcium to your skin’s upper epidermis, thereby maintaining an effective barrier against moisture loss. The milk’s lactic acid also helps in making your skin lighter.
Using milk to lighten your skin is easy. Here’s how:
- Soak a washcloth in a bowl of warm milk.
- Gently rub the washcloth in your skin.
- Do this everyday after taking a bath until you notice an improvement in your skin complexion.
There is another variant you should try, which you will find out below.
5. Yogurt: One of the Most Effective Skin Whitening Home Remedies You Can Use
If you are fond of dairy, then here is another reason why you will love it more. Yogurt is an effective skin lightening home remedies even for dark skin because of its alpha hydroxy acid content or AHA. It acts as an exfoliant to help shred dead skin cells, removes dullness on your skin, and leads to cell renewal.
Aside from AHA, yogurt has lactic acid, an effective bleaching agent that suppresses melanin production.
Here are various ways you can use yogurt to lighten your skin:
- Rub plain yogurt in your skin and leave it on for a few minutes before washing it with lukewarm water.
- Mix one tablespoon each of plain yogurt and raw honey. Apply on your skin and let it dry for 15 minutes before washing it with cool water.
6. Say Yes to Aloe Vera for Healthier, Lighter Skin
You might associate aloe vera with a hair remedy. Did you know that it could also be your best friend in case you want a whiter, lighter skin?
By consistently applying the gel on your skin four times a day, you will see noticeable results in just a few weeks. This is because aloe vera contains aloesin, a compound known to inhibit tyrosinase activity, thereby normalizing melanin production. The antioxidant properties of this plant also give your skin soft and smooth color.
Check out the nearest market or health food stores for your supply of aloe vera. You surely won’t regret it.
7. Tomatoes: A Skin Lightening Ingredient You Shouldn’t Miss
Do you want a skin lightening home remedies that work fast? Then you should try tomatoes on your skin.
Believe it or not, tomatoes are natural bleaching agents and an effective skin whitening agent as well. The vitamin C content and tomatoes’ natural acidic composition helps balance your skin’s pH level to make your skin lighter. The antioxidants in tomatoes fight the free radicals that stop your skin from getting white and give you a younger-looking skin.
Here are tricks on how to use tomatoes as part of your skin lightening home remedies:
- Apply tomato pulp on your skin and let it dry. Apply another coat of tomato pulp and let it sit on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it with cool water.
- Mix a tablespoon of tomato juice with one to two drops of lemon juice. Apply on your face and neck and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash with cool water.
- Get the pulp from one tomato and mix it with two tablespoons of plain yogurt. Slather on your skin and let it stay for 20 minutes. Rinse with cool water.
8. Make Your Own Skin Lightening Mask With Gram Flour
Also known as chickpea flour, gram flour is derived from Garbanzo legume and used in India to make their skin smoother, lighter, and softer. However, that’s not what makes gram flour extra special. This ingredient is an excellent exfoliant and transfers all the nutrients to make your skin glow. At the same time, it works well with other skin lightening home remedies.
Gram Flour Face Mask
- Mix two teaspoons of gram flour, one-fourth teaspoon turmeric powder, and two to three drops of lemon juice.
- Slowly add milk in the mixture until it forms into paste.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck and let it dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Do this every day for one month, then once a week a month after to see an improvement in your skin complexion.
9. Keep Your Skin Light and Even With Almond Oil
Admit it. Like most of us, you are tempted to buy the skin lightening cream that promises to improve your skin color. Unfortunately, you’re not sure what’s in it. Then someone told you that almond oil might just do the trick.
What’s with almond oil?
Almond oil contains essential lightening compounds like phytosterols, minerals, and vitamin E to help lighten your skin. Consequently, it is rich in niacin. Niacin contains niacinamide, an active form of niacin that lightens unwanted skin pigmentation. As a result, almond oil removes blemishes, evens your skin tone, and lightens it all over.
Here’s how you can enjoy almond oil:
- Warm almond oil to a temperature which your skin can tolerate.
- Apply it in dark spots in your skin and let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this two to three times a week, preferably at night time, for best results.
Are you ready to process more information? There are more skin lightening home remedies coming your way so make sure to keep reading until the very end.
10. Make Your Life Sweeter and Your Skin Whiter With Honey
You’ve heard good things about honey and what it can do to your health. Did you know that honey could also help whiten your skin?
Honey, particularly the raw version, moisturizes your skin and helps get rid of dead skin cells. Aside from this, this natural ingredient bleaches and brightens your skin tone. The best part is honey contains anti-bacterial properties that help reduce the appearance of scars, spots, and acne.
Check out how you can use honey to lighten your skin:
- Before bath time, apply pure honey on dark areas and let it stay on your skin for three to five minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water. Don’t forget to do this everyday.
- Mix one teaspoon each of raw honey and lemon juice, one tablespoon of powdered milk, and one-half teaspoon of almond oil. Apply in dark areas and leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes in your skin before rinsing with cold water. Do this every other day for best results.
Make sure you will use raw, unprocessed honey instead of those products you see in supermarkets. The problem with processed honey is that it is stripped off with its natural ingredients that could help lighten your skin.
11. Even Out Your Skin Tone the Natural Way With Papaya
There are tons of skin lightening soaps available in the market that contains papaya. The answer is obvious. Papaya is one of the best skin lightening ingredients available. The secret lies with papain.
Papain or papaya proteinaise, which helps dissolve dead skin cells to reveal, whiter and newer skin cells. This also reduces the appearance of scars, dark spots, and freckles to lighten your complexion.
All you have to do is to rub a slice of papaya on affected areas and let it dry before rinsing with cold water. It will also help if you add a slice of this fruit in your diet. You can also add a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice in mashed papaya and massage it gently on your skin for 30 minutes before washing it with cold water.
12. You Can Never Go Wrong With Baking Soda When It Comes to Skin Whitening
You might recognize baking soda as a popular kitchen ingredient. Your baked goodies will never be complete without baking soda, but did you know it works well as one of the top skin lightening home remedies for dark skin, too?
Here’s another reason why you should love baking soda and make sure you won’t run out of supply: it helps lighten your skin. By scrubbing baking soda, you are able to remove the dead skin cells and kills unwanted substances in your skin to reveal a fresher, whiter, and lighter skin.
Here’s what you can do to make baking soda work:
- Mix one to two tablespoons of baking soda with water until it turns into paste.
- Apply the paste on dark areas and scrub it for five minutes.
- Wash with water. Don’t forget to moisturize the area after.
Repeat this process every day for one week and you will see noticeable results in your skin color.
Here is the best part: if you are looking for one of the best skin lightening home remedies for dark armpits, baking soda could also do the trick.
13. Licorice Root Extract: A Not-So-Famous Ingredient That Comes with Tons of Whitening Benefits
You often find licorice root in health stores. The question is do you pay attention or even bother to pick it up and buy it? If not, then you might change your mind the next time you see licorice root in the store.
Licorice root extract is an Ayurvedic remedy that helps in treating various skin conditions dark circles, uneven spots, and scars. However, the spotlight is on glabridin, licorice’s active compound that inhibits the enzyme causing darkness on your skin. It also reduces the production of melanin and balances your skin cells.
The next time you drop by health food store, don’t forget to get your supply. Dab a cotton ball in the licorice extract and apply it on the dark areas in your ski. Leave it overnight and rinse it the following morning. Do this every night and you will see noticeable results in just a few weeks of regular use.
Can you handle more? There are few more skin lightening home remedies available for you, so make sure you will read until the end.
14. More Than Just for Your Breakfast Bowl: Oatmeal Brightens Your Skin Tone
What comes to your mind when you hear the word, “oatmeal?” Most of the time, you will associate it with breakfast or something that fills you up in the morning. Aside from filling you up, oatmeal can be your best friend when it comes to skin lightening.
You might be wondering why.
You may not like the texture, how it feels on your skin, and the mess that comes with it. However, oatmeal has so much to do for your skin. In fact, oatmeal, especially its texture, helps exfoliate your skin by removing dead skin cells. At the same time, it improves new skin cell growth, thereby encouraging brighter skin tone.
You can try this technique:
- Mix oatmeal and tomato juice.
- Apply in dark spots in your skin.
- Let it stay on your skin for 20 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
- As you rinse, make sure to gently scrub the mixture on your skin to get rid of dead skin cells.
- Repeat this process every day to see noticeable results.
You will surely need a bigger supply of oatmeal after reading this.
15. Cucumber: Not Just for Your Baggy Eyes
Admit it. You’ve placed sliced cucumber on your eyes before going to bed. After all, nobody wants baggy eyes when they wake up. Here is something interesting about cucumber: it keeps your skin whiter, too.
Cucumber binds the collagen in your skin to make sure that it is firm, smooth, and supple. At the same time, it provides cooling effect and keeps it hydrated, hence moisturized. These characteristics contribute to clearer and lighter skin after consistent use. The best part is cucumber works best for all skin types.
The procedure is simple. Apply sliced cucumbers in areas that need lightening. Let the slices stay there for a few minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water. Do this twice a day for better results.
16. Turmeric: More Than Just a Kitchen Spice
You’ve noticed the inclusion of turmeric ingredient when making your own skin whitening home remedies. This is because this ingredient is often used to improve your skin complexion. At the same time, it helps build up melanin to even out your skin tone while its antiseptic properties promote healthier skin and overall health.
How do you enjoy turmeric’s skin benefits? Here’s how.
- Mix turmeric powder and milk until it forms into a paste. Apply the paste on your skin and let it dry. Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Combine one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder, one teaspoon of lemon juice, and two teaspoons of gram flour. Apply the mixture on your skin and let it stay for 20 to 25 minutes or until the mixture is dry. Scrub off the dried mixture then wash your skin with lukewarm water.
17. It’s Not Just for Halloween: Make Your Own Pumpkin Mask for Lighter Skin
Pumpkin may be a favorite every 31st of October. As a Jack O’ Lantern, it may have given you a fright when you were younger, and you probably enjoy making a pie out of it now that you are older.
Here’s another reason why you should love pumpkin: it contains antioxidants and exfoliating acids that help whiten your skin. The vitamins A, C, and beta-carotene also contribute to brightening and lightening of your skin in the most natural bleaching and toning.
Here’s how to make your own pumpkin mask:
- Mix two teaspoons of mashed pumpkin with one-half teaspoon each of milk and raw honey.
- You can also use pumpkin puree, which you can do by boiling sliced pumpkin and putting them in immersion blender.
- Once combined, apply the mixture on your face and let it stay for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Make sure you apply the mixture every night if you want to see an improvement in your skin in just a few weeks.
One Last Piece of Advice
These skin lightening home remedies are effective in getting your skin lighter and healthier in the most natural way possible. Here’s the catch: it may take some time before you see noticeable results. Some natural skin lightening remedies won’t even work as well and that’s fine.
Take it one home remedy at a time. If it doesn’t work, move on to the next. If it does, stick to it. The important thing is to identify what works for you while keeping your expectations realistic.