Dark spots, blemishes, hyperpigmentation and age spots are a few common skin disorders caused by excessive secretion of melanin in the body. Melanin can accumulate on the skin for several reasons such as inflammation, acne, a hormonal imbalance and prolonged exposure to the sun.
People who suffer from hyperpigmentation and dark spots on the skin know how difficult it is to find an effective remedy to clear these stubborn patches and restore their natural skin tone. Fortunately, you can incorporate many natural ingredients into a skin brightening mask to use as a treatment for attaining a clear complexion. Below are some effective skin lightening masks to regain your natural beauty.
1) Turmeric Skin Brightening Mask
Turmeric is a spice that originated in Southern Asia. It is extensively grown and used in India as a cooking spice.
Traditionally, Ayurveda and Chinese practitioners regard turmeric as a miracle ingredient for treating skin wounds, liver disorders and inflammation.
Turmeric is also widely used as one of the effective ingredients in a skin brightening mask for retaining beauty and health of the skin. Some of the beneficial properties of turmeric include:
- Anti-Inflammatory: Turmeric contains a yellow pigment, known as circumin. Studies indicate that its potent anti-inflammatory properties help reduce the pain caused by inflammation.
- Antioxidant: Circumin is also a potent antioxidant that inhibits free radicals and protects the skin from oxidative stress. Free radicals promote aging. Therefore, using turmeric in a skin brightening mask helps to reduce age spots to enhance a youthful glow.
- Anti-Bacterial: The anti-bacterial properties of turmeric make it an effective treatment for fighting acne-producing bacteria.
You can use a turmeric skin brightening mask to address various skin issues, including freckles, melasma, dark spots and scars caused by acne. While fading blemishes on your skin, a turmeric mask will also treat the root cause of acne.
- Turmeric Powder: half teaspoon
- Gram Flour: two tablespoons
- Yogurt Or Milk: just enough to form a paste
- Honey: a few drops (optional)
- Oil: a few drops of almond, coconut or olive oil (skip this if you have oily skin)
How To Prepare A Turmeric Skin Brightening Mask
Mix the gram flour and turmeric together. Add the yogurt or milk along with the other ingredients and mix thoroughly to form a paste. Ensure that the consistency of the paste is not very loose.
Once ready, apply the paste on your face and neck and wait for twenty minutes before washing. Use lukewarm water to rinse off the turmeric skin lightening mask. Use this mask every other day or at least twice a week.
Important Note: Turmeric can stain your clothing, skin or any other substance it comes in contact with, so be careful and ensure that you wear clothes you don’t mind staining. It is advisable to apply this mask before going to bed because the yellow tinge from the turmeric will be gone by the morning.
2) Fresh Papaya Skin Brightening Mask
Papaya is popular all around the world for its many health benefits, including acquiring beautiful skin. Application of papaya helps to make your skin supple because it keeps your skin hydrated. It works very well to cure skin discoloration of any form.
- Vitamins And Minerals: Papaya is rich in vitamins C and E, folate, potassium, magnesium and flavonoids.
- Enzymes: Papaya contains enzymes such as papain and bromelain that help to exfoliate the dead skin cells to expose the newer and lighter skin cells.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acid: AHA is in abundance in papaya. It offers anti-aging properties and helps treat premature signs of aging.
There are many ways to prepare a papaya skin whitening mask. Here is a recipe for an antioxidant skin brightening mask of papaya.
- Ripe Papaya: Half of a fruit
- Honey: One half teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: One half teaspoon
Peel, de-seed and cut your fresh papaya into small pieces. Blend it in a grinder to make a smooth paste. Now add honey and lemon juice and mix well. Apply the paste on your face and neck and let it sit for 20 minutes. Clean your face with water to reveal a brightening glow.
3) Fuller’s Earth Skin Brightening Mask
Also known as multani mitti, Fuller’s earth is clay that is widely popular for healing acne, blemishes and pigmentation. It eradicates the dead skin cells and allows the pores to breathe. It improves blood circulation because of its skin tightening properties. It also clears the skin of impurities, dirt and bacteria that give rise to acne and inflammation.
You can use this skin brightening mask before applying any topical treatment since it allows maximum penetration of the ingredients into the skin layers. It contains magnesium chloride that helps to reduce acne.
- Fuller’s Earth: Two tablespoons
- Sandalwood Powder: A half teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: A few drops
- Yogurt: A half teaspoon
- Rose Water: Just enough to form a paste
- Fresh Aloe Vera Juice: A half teaspoon (optional)
How to Prepare A Fuller’s Earth Skin Brightening Mask
In a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well until you form a paste. Yogurt is composed of lactic acid, which works well to remove the dead and blemished skin cells and clear hyperpigmentation marks.
Apply the paste on your skin and leave it there for ten to fifteen minutes. Remove with clean water and a washcloth. Use this skin brightening mask once a week.
Why Should You Use Skin Lightening Creams?
Skin brightening masks are one of the effective and natural ways to get rid of dark spots on your face. You can choose any of the above mentioned skin brightening masks and use it twice or three times weekly to fade pigmentation marks.
You can use a natural formula on your skin daily to accelerate the process of skin whitening. This is because clearing pigmentation needs persistent efforts, patience and an effective, regular treatment.
You can find numerous skin lightening creams on the market. Choose one that contains natural and safe ingredients. Avoid skin lightening creams with hydroquinone, steroids and mercury, as they can be harmful to your skin, as well as your health. Hydroquinone has carcinogenic properties. In addition, skin lightening creams with these ingredients only provide temporary results.
As soon as you stop the treatment and expose your skin to the sun, your pigmentation will come back even darker. Further, the pigmentation penetrates deep under the skin layers and becomes more stubborn.
Using a natural skin pigmentation cream from illuminatural 6i and a skin brightening mask regularly will help you regain skin you’ll feel confident to show to the world.