Having oily skin can be frustrating, especially when excessive oil accumulates during the heat of the summer. You may need to adopt various oily skin care regimens in order to keep your skin healthy. When you have oily skin, your sebaceous glands pump out abundant amounts of sebum. Sebum is the waxy substance that provides protection to your skin. When there is an excess of this substance, your skin starts looking oily or greasy.
In this article, we are going to discuss some effective oily skin care regimens, which will enable you to reduce several skin issues, including acne, pimples and blackheads. Let’s take a look at the different methods that will help you transform your skin from dull and greasy to glowing and luminous.
1. Understand the Science Behind the Formation of Acne
Excessive sebum on your skin can contribute to acne. Heredity also plays a prime role in the formation of acne. For example, people who are dark haired tend to have more oil than the fair-haired people.
There are other contributing factors, such as changes in hormones and stress. In fact, pregnant women or those who are taking contraceptive pills can have an oily skin problem too.
Oily skin is a pain to deal with, and that fact is oily skin care in summer is even more difficult. The excessive oil on the outer layer of the skin can cause blackheads, pimples, skin irritation and whiteheads. It gives the skin a coarse look because it creates large pores. Although oily skin ages better and has less wrinkles, it can be difficult to maintain oily skin.
2. Cleanse Your Skin with a Good Cleanser
When you have oily skin, you need to use either a soapy cleanser or a gel based one. This will help you to clean up the pores and get rid of the excessive oil. You can also use an oil based cleanser. However, you should be careful to avoid any cleanser that is alcohol based. This is because it removes more oil than required and this can be harmful to your skin.
A cleanser will remove dirt, dead skin, harmful chemicals and oil from your face. Besides, it will also help you to unclog the pores. Make use of warm water and then, massage the cleanser on your skin. Continue massaging for about one minute, and then wash it off with plain water.
Since there is a risk of removing too much natural oil from your skin and developing some adverse effects, you need to tone your skin after cleansing. Get a toner that is effective and gentle, since it will give your skin a balanced appearance. It is significant to choose your oily skin care kit properly.
3. Keep Your Face, Chest, and Back Clean
Did you know that you can develop oily skin if you do not wash your body properly? Experts have noticed that there are patients suffering from oily skin because they did not learn how to wash their body thoroughly.
The best way to do this is to use a gentle cleanser that isn’t harsh on your body and then, gently massage the cleanser on your skin. Do this at least twice in a day. This is will help you to normalize the level of oil in your body.
If you want to avoid using a toner every day, you can use a cleanser once or twice a week, and also use a cream which can remain on your skin in order to control the production of oil.
Excessive use of a cleanser can make your skin sensitive. In fact, it sometimes becomes so sensitive that it is unable to bear any acne skin care regimen. Thus, you should opt for cream which has a low amount of salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide.
4. Perfect Oily Skin Care Tip: Keep Your Skin Hydrated
Dehydrated skin isn’t a type of skin; however, it is a skin condition which is determined by the amount of moisture that is present in your skin. Dehydrated skin is usually a temporary condition, caused by using or rather overusing oily skin care products which don’t suit your skin type.
There is a difference between dehydrated skin and dry skin.
- Dry skin occurs because of the impairment of the epidermis, due to factors such as overexposure to sun, skin disorder, or genetics.
- Dehydrated skin is a skin condition which lacks water content but is still capable of producing oil. It over-produces oil, because to the lack of moisture in the skin. This leads to oily skin. Thus, your skin can be dehydrated and still be oily.
When you choose a moisturizer, make sure that it has hyaluronic acid instead of ceramides, since it can block the bacteria and cause pimples.
5. Get Rid of the Makeup Before Hitting the Bed
You might not realize this, but it is significant to remove the makeup from your skin before you go to bed at night. This is because makeup particles can cause excess damage to your skin overnight.
Your skin renews itself when you are sleeping, and if you do not remove the make-up, then you prevent your skin from undergoing the renewal process. Your skin is unable to breathe, and this leads to signs of fatigue.
A majority of makeup products are composed of oily substances and when they remain on your skin overnight, they clog the pores and make your skin prone to acne. Having oily skin makes it even more imperative to remove makeup before going to bed.
When you have to remove makeup from oily skin, you will require a strong remover. It requires a different and stringent process of cleansing. You should use:
- Creams: Creams for deep facial cleansing. This might sound drastic for daily use, but when used on oily skin, it leads to excellent result.
- Exfoliating Cleansers: Use exfoliating cleansers which will help you get rid of the dead skin cells, particularly when combined with the build-up of makeup. However, avoid these if you have excessive acne.
- Non-comedogenic Cleansers: They are good for all skin types, because they don’t contain harsh chemicals and thereby don’t clog the pores.
6. Be Careful of Home Remedies
Oily skin care home remedies are a hit or miss. Users often tout them as free of side effects, safe to use and with numerous benefits; however, they still have side effects.
For example, the famous sugar lemon scrub used by some people is one of the best exfoliants and can improve the condition of pigmentation. However, excessive lemon juice might cause hyperpigmentation. Again, a yogurt mask exfoliates your skin and makes it glow because it contains lactic acid. However, this too can be overdone.
There is one home treatment that you should absolutely avoid if you have oily skin: steaming. The high temperature will lead to the loss of fatty acid, which can be dangerous for your skin. This is the reason you should be careful of a hot bath and the jacuzzi.
7. Selecting the Perfect Makeup is Crucial
Choosing the right makeup for your oily skin can be a daunting task. In fact, it becomes even more necessary when you suffer from constant breakouts.
Overdoing makeup might clog the pores and make your skin prone to whiteheads and blackheads. If you use an oily face care product with too much moisture, it can worsen your oily skin. Read the list of ingredients of the makeup or beauty products that you are choosing.
Remember that if you have to use a foundation, choose one that are dry and have a matte finish. This will fight the excessive oil of your skin and make your skin appear fresh all day long. Do not forget to go for a spot test. Opt for a yellow based foundation, which suits all skin tones.
8. Avoid Excessive Exfoliation: It May Damage Your Skin
Oily skin can be difficult to control as it is something that you are born with. However, exfoliating your skin can help you to get glowing and squeaky clean skin. Exfoliation can be tricky.
You should exfoliate on a regular basis so that you are able to remove the excessive oils and debris build-up. Nonetheless, when you exfoliate more than it is required, your skin senses that it has to produce more and more oil, which causes the development of an oily skin.
The question: is how often should you exfoliate? The fact is that it varies from one person to another, and the abrasiveness of your exfoliating serum also plays a role. If you exfoliate every day and find that your skin appears inflamed, red, and dry, then you should cut back on your frequency of exfoliation. Experts have mentioned that people who have oily skin should not exfoliate more than two to three times in a week. Before using any exfoliating cream make sure that you consult a dermatologist.
You can also try out Illuminatural6i. This is the latest development in skin lightening science. It can lighten the dark spots on your skin and enable you to have oil free skin. It is beneficial for treating various scars as well. The best thing about this skin lightening product is that it is prepared from natural resources; therefore, it causes minimal side effects.
9. Use a Homemade Peel If Your Skin is Greasy
You can use home peels for removing dead skin cells. Additionally, if you have oily skin, it becomes even more obligatory to remove the dead cells and the abundant oil from your skin.
Accumulated dead cells and oil can lead to the formation of acne, pimples, and many other issues. Even though peels will give results gradually, these are natural remedies which are chemical free and are thus, gentle on your skin.
Here are some of the homemade face peels:
- Gram Flour Mask: Mix one tablespoon of gram flour with three teaspoons of milk and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this mask for 20 minutes. It improves the appearance of your skin. You can use low-fat milk to help to provide moisture to your skin without making it greasy. Lemon reduces the oiliness and milk provides a glow.
- Orange Peel Mask: This can help you to have a bright skin. To make an orange peel face pack, dry a few orange peels in the shade and later, prepare the powder. Make a paste of this powder with milk, water or curd to make a face pack.
10. Stay Away from Skin Drying Agents
You might not be aware of the fact, but the normal and balanced flow of oil from your skin is good for the latter. It helps maintain a healthy skin flora, softens the skin and relieves dryness. However, it is frustrating when the skin produces too much oil.
The first step of caring for your oily skin is to adopt oily skincare products, which are best suited to fight greasiness and oil on skin. If you use products that are drying and harsh, they will initially make your skin feel less oily. Nonetheless, in the long run, they will worsen your skin condition. Thus, here are some things you need to exclude from your oily skin care routine:
- Avoid harmful, harsh, and drying agents, which can lead to the production of more oil, such as denatured alcohol and specially denatured (SD) alcohol.
- Some skin products may give you a tingling sensation to your skin. If the tingling sensation is not bearable and produce rashes and redness, you should stop using that product.
11. How to Make the Right Choice When Selecting a Moisturizer
You should know what your skin needs in order to remain healthy. A moisturizer hydrates the skin and makes it smooth. It breaks down into products which seal the moisture into your skin, attracts moisture and makes your skin smooth.
Emollients and occlusive present in moisturizer smoothen and soften the skin. It also contains collagen and paraffin, which works together to lock in the moisture.
Avoid using a heavy moisturizer and stick to a gentle and light one for proper skincare. Read the label of the product to find out the ingredients present in it. Make it a point to buy the moisturizer with components such as cocoa butter, oil, and paraffin. Choose a gel-based light moisturizer. A well-moisturized skin appears fresh.
12. Foods You Should Eat for Managing Oily Skin
Your skin’s oiliness can be a result of your improper diet. If this is the case, external oil removal remedies might not work or may give temporary results. In fact, they might also harm your skin in the long run. If your skin oiliness is caused by an internal problem, you can control it with the help of a diet. This is a long-lasting solution to the problem of oily skin.
- Your diet should be rich in fiber, as it helps in absorbing the essential nutrients and gets rid of the toxins from your body.
- Cucumber can help in hydrating your skin and its cooling effect can help you to achieve healthy and fresh -looking skin.
- You might be surprised to know that dairy products can be harmful to your skin. They can worsen the condition of oily skin. So, you should limit their consumption.
- Added sugars like cane sugar, honey, corn syrup, and maltose can increase your blood sugar level and can lead to excessive production of oil. They will make your skin appear greasy and make it prone to acne.
A holistic approach towards your diet will help you to get rid of the unwanted oil from your skin.
13. Vitamin is Beneficial for Oily Skin
Oily skin can cause acne if not taken care of properly, which can be excessively troublesome. Nonetheless, there are various treatments for oily skin.
- Adding more vitamins-rich foods to your diet will enable you to reduce the production of oil. Vitamins provide protection to the skin because they have anti-oxidant properties.
- Vitamins A and B6 are effective in controlling the oiliness of your skin. They also help maintain your hormonal levels. Vitamin A aids in moderating your oily skin. On the other hand having more B2 and B5 vitamin will balance oil secretion from the oil glands of the skin.
- A deficiency of vitamin might lead to skin problems; however, this does not necessarily mean that you can take vitamin pills to solve the problem. Talk to your dermatologist before you start a course. Also, avoid believing in the products which sellers promote as vitamin supplements for solving all your skin problems.
14. Do not be Tempted by Alcohol or Chocolate
Did you know that your temptation to have chocolate can be the reason behind your oily skin? Having plain cocoa might be beneficial for your skin. However, having cocoa which manufacturers have blended with milk and mixed with sugar will cause your skin to be oilier.
Besides, the consumption of alcohol will not only dehydrate your skin, but also make it more prone to acne. This is because of the common behaviors which are associated with the consumption of alcohol like eating heavy food, sweating and not washing your face. All these factors can lead to a greasy looking skin.
Sweating causes clogged pores and leads to breakouts. If you still want to consume alcohol, make sure that you consume water all throughout the night, wash your face before sleeping and limit the alcohol intake to one or two glasses.
15. Wash Your Face with Lukewarm Water
Washing your face gently is one of the essential oily skin care tips. You should avoid using hot water to wash your face. This is because it can cause irritation to your skin and lead to acne. As a matter, using it will lead to the over-production of oil. So, when you wash your face make sure that you use lukewarm water.
Lukewarm water will break down the oil more efficiently than cold water. It opens out the pores and makes it easier for you to clear the abundant oil.
After washing with lukewarm water, finish by splashing cold water on your face. This will help tighten your skin and keep it free from oil for a longer period of time.
16. Oily Skin Care for Men and Women: Quit Those Cigarettes
Dermatologists have pointed out that smoking or exposure to cigarette smoke can worsen the condition of oily skin. The primary problem of cigarettes is that they produce a huge amount of free radicals, which can lead to acne. Smoking can also suppress the Vitamin A level of your body, which is necessary for healthy skin.
Vitamin A prevents your sebaceous glands from producing excessive amounts of sebum, a mixture of oils and fats. In fact, vitamin A also helps in skin regeneration. Oily skin and build-up of acne might lead to acne and this is the reason you should avoid smoking if you have oily skin.
17. Sleep Well for Treating Oily Skin
Did you know that sleep deprivation is one of the most common and overlooked causes of oily skin?
Getting a good night sleep will make your skin look its best. Loss of sleep causes decreases the level of insulin. This can lead to an increase in glucose in your body and make your skin oily. Thus, if you want to decrease the production of sebum by your skin, then all you have to do is get full eight hours of sleep in the night.
Managing an oily face can be a real challenge. The most effective way to manage your oily skin is to clean it twice daily. When you have oily skin, your skin becomes more susceptible to acne. Following oily skin care tips will help you to get back your confidence by making your skin look bright and clear.