Summer is almost here and people will mostly be basking in the sun. One drawback in sun exposure is getting too tanned or developing sun spots. Before the season even ends, you could find yourself looking for a dark spot treatment or a skin whitening regimen.
Some people like their skin to be brown, as long as the color is even. However, when they see dark discoloration or dark spots, especially on their faces, they become concerned and conscious. That is why aside from skin whitening, treatment for dark spots is among the most sought after skin care solutions.
Dark Spots Explained
In the medical world, dark spots are termed as hyperpigmentation.
This is the darkening of a certain skin area caused by higher concentrations of melanin. Its usual causes are skin injuries like acne, sun damage and inflammation. They usually show when you turn 25.
Melanin is there for a purpose. Do you know why you get tan or develop dark spots when out in the sun? It is because melanin absorbs the UV Rays that enter the skin in order to avoid damage to the cells.
Natural Dark Spot Treatment
Dark spots are skin blemishes that many men and women deal with worldwide. Various dark spots treatments are available in the market. You may have what you need to make your own right inside your kitchen.
Too tired or busy to visit the drug store or mall? You may find the treatment for dark spots in your refrigerator and kitchen cupboards.
This smelly vegetable has high amounts of acidic properties that can aid in lightening those dark spots without effort. Here are the steps:
- Peel and cut a cup of red onions.
- Make red onion juice using a blender or a juicer.
- Using cotton buds, apply directly on each spot and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
This citrus fruit is a favorite skin care regimen. Its bleaching properties can reduce the dark spot’s appearance and lighten the skin. Here is how to use it as a dark spot treatment.
- Dab on freshly squeezed lemon juice to the target area.
- Leave it on for around 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Apply moisturizer and sun screen right after as lemon juice can make the skin dry and sensitive to the sun.
- Repeat three times a week.
This root crop has lightening properties, too. Here’s how you can use it as a treatment for dark spots.
- Make a mixture by mincing horseradish and combining it with vinegar and honey.
- First, apply lemon juice using a cotton ball as if you were using a toner.
- Apply the mixture to hyperpigmented areas.
- Allow the dark spots to get soaked in for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse with water after.
- Apply sun block cream if you plan to go out as this can make your skin more sensitive to UV rays.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This kind of vinegar speeds up the process of skin shedding. That way, the skin tone evens out. Simply dab apple cider vinegar on dark spots. Leave to dry for a few minutes and then wash off with water.
Dark Spots Treatment Courtesy Of Modern Science And Technology
Science and technology have come up with products and procedures for the treatment of dark spots. Some involve solely the use of lab-made ingredients while others combine science and nature. If you want a faster treatment, perhaps an acne dark spot treatment for your face, look for the following ingredients:
- Vitamin C – People have used vitamin C for ages to lighten their skin. Not only does Vitamin C brighten dark spots, it also stops development of new ones. Products like corrective dark spot solutions contain this antioxidant.
- Yomogi And Angelica Root Extracts – These Japanese botanicals are proven to aid in the faster turnover of new cells and melanin break down. They can be found in spot targeting serums.
- Glycolic Acid And Alpha Hydroxy Acid – They help even out skin tone. These acids remove the layer of dead skin cells to bring out the healthier and lighter layer. Many exfoliating solutions contain these two acids.
- Soy Protein – Experts found out that soy proteins could help reduce the blotchy coloring and redness in the skin.
This is helpful especially as an acne dark spot treatment.
Soy protein works great in spots resulting from scars. They are an ingredient in many types of day moisturizers.
- Hydroquinone – You can find this skin whitening agent in many creams and lotions.
Common Dark Spot Procedures
While you can treat dark spots on your own, you may else get the help of an expert, a dermatologist or a cosmetic surgeon perhaps. Here are some procedures that can correct dark spots.
- Laser Peel – Pulsing and concentrated light beams target dark areas. This process removes skin one layer at a time. Laser peel is a good acne dark spot treatment.
- Dermabrasion – This is the surgical scraping of skin areas with sharp edges, especially those from scarring. Dermabrasion works for people suffering from deep acne scars.
- Microdermabrasion Or Diamond Peel – Using a wand with a diamond at the tip, the skin specialist gently sloughs off the outer skin layer damaged by the sun or containing dead skin cells.
Side Effects You Need To Know About
Both the natural and unnatural means of dark spots treatment may cause unwanted outcomes. Hydroquinone may cause cancers such as leukemia. You need to be cautious for one or several of the following side effects:
- Allergic reactions
- Skin redness or discoloration
- Swelling and Bruising
- Thinning of Skin
- Hypersensitivity to Sun
The skin looks better when toned and free of blemishes. Natural or modern treatment for dark spots can make your skin color uniform.
Pimple marks and sun spots can hide that natural radiance your skin has. Find out the ultimate dark spot treatment that suits you, so you can put your best face forward.