We all crave unblemished skin, but some of us simply aren’t doing anything to get it. You can apply plenty of lotions and potions, moisturize regularly and cover yourself in oils.Yet, exfoliation is an absolute must-do when it comes to having perfect skin.
If you aren’t getting rid of those dead cells and purifying your layers of skin then it will never look or feel as wonderful as you want it to. Exfoliation also helps you stay healthy. So, it’s a significant part of your skincare routine.
What is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation is the process of cleansing your skin that helps to remove the dead layer of skin cells on the surface of the skin. A huge amount of skin cells die every day. It is vital to scrub them away in order for fresh cells to develop. One can perform exfoliation by either physically scouring away these dead cells or using products that help the cells to fall off.
Why Should I Exfoliate?
Nobody wants dead cells sticking to their bodies, especially since they can clog up your pores and cause an oily buildup, leading to spots and other skin problems.
By removing these dead cells, you can allow the fresh cells beneath to rise to the surface and open up the pores for skincare products to work more effectively.
How Should I Exfoliate?
This all depends on your skin type. If you struggle with acne or spots in general, your skin is probably quite sensitive, so you will need to be careful with your exfoliation methods.
A beauty expert can advise you on the best type of exfoliation to suit your skin. Experts usually recommend scrubs that contain smooth particles rather than excessively rough granules, which can cause microscopic injuries to the skin and lead to acne breakouts.
Now let’s take a look at 18 different exfoliating scrubs you can make at home from natural ingredients.
1. An Oatmeal-Lavender Face Scrub To Clear Your Pores
To prepare this scrub, mix a cup of ground oatmeal with a half cup of dry lavender flowers and a half cup of powdered milk. Add two teaspoons of cornmeal to the mix to give it some moisture.
Massage this gently onto damp areas of skin for an effective exfoliation. You can store this scrub in your cupboards for several months.
2. A Spicy Sugar Scrub to Cleanse Your Skin
Mix three-fourths of a cup of sugar with two teaspoons of ground cloves, another two teaspoons of grated orange zest, a tablespoon of dried rose petals, and one and a half cups of sesame oil.
You can apply this miraculous scrub twice per week. Besides, you can store it for half a year in a cool and dark place.
3. A Coffee Zest Body Scrub to Keep Your Face Fresh
Coffee is an awesome product for activating your fresh cells and removing the dead ones. To make this scrub, mix a half cup of old coffee grounds with a half cup of honey and a tablespoon of orange zest.
Rub this scrub gently into the face and leave it there for a few moments. Wash it off gently and reapply this mixture two of three times each week.
4. A Honey Body Scrub Will Make You Look Great
Honey really helps to keep your skin feeling smooth and supple. It works by encouraging your skin’s cells to absorb moisture.
To make an effective honey scrub, mix a teaspoon of honey with a quarter cup of olive oil, a cup of sugar and two teaspoons of lemon zest. Scrub this mixture gently into the skin.
5. A Peach Passion Sugar Scrub Is A Wonderful Moisturizer
This scrub is super effective and will moisturize your cells, providing them with all the water they need to give your skin a supple and smooth touch.
To make it, first open up five peach passion tea bags and remove the contents. Mix these tea-leaves with one and a half cup of sugar and a half cup of coconut oil.
You can add other oils to make the mixture even more potent, and then apply it to various areas around your body.
6. Pineapple Face Scrub Is The Perfect Exfoliant
For an effective exfoliating scrub, mix a half cup of blended pineapple chunks with a quarter cup of olive oil and a quarter cup of fresh parsley. Mix these ingredients gently to make a paste, rather than a liquid.
Apply it as a face mask and leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing off gently.
7. A Citrus Sea Salt Scrub to Remove Dead Cells
Mix a half cup of sea salt with a half cup of olive oil, or another moisturizing oil, and a teaspoon of lemon zest. You can equally use orange or lime zest for this mixture. Extra oil will make the mixture smoother. So, use plenty of oil if your skin is sensitive.
The sea salt can be quite strong on dead skin cells, but too powerful for your face. So, it’s best to use this scrub on the body, rather than the face. Use it on dry areas around the body like the hands, knees, feet and elbows.
8. A Mint Sugar Lip Scrub To Keep Your Lips Looking Sexy
To soften your lips, mix a bit of olive oil with some sugar, ideally organic sugar. You can add a bit of mint or vanilla to the mix to give your lips a nice scent and flavor.
Simply place the mixture on your lips for a few moments and then lick or wash it away gently.
9. A Brown Sugar, Vanilla And Coconut Scrub To Moisturize Your Cells
Coconut oil is extremely effective at giving your skin a radiant glow. Mix a half cup of this oil with a half cup of brown sugar and a half teaspoon of vanilla extract for a beneficial scrub to use in the shower.
10. A Lentil Body Scrub To Exfoliate Your Entire Body
Lentils are excellent for exfoliation products. Use red lentils for best results and grind a couple of spoonfuls of them into a powder before mixing with a bit of milk or honey.
Use just enough to make a nice paste and apply it all over your body before getting into a bath or shower, where you can rinse it away. For a face mask alternative, try adding some rice and turmeric powder to the mixture.
11. A Sandalwood Face Scrub To Make Dead Cells Disappear
Sandalwood is the perfect product for removing dead skin cells and oily buildup on the epidermis. Try mixing a bit of sandalwood powder with some rice powder, flour, milk and rose water to make a nice mask. The paste should be quite thick. You can apply it all over your body once every other week.
12. A Rice Curd Rose Oil Scrub Is Perfect For Dry Skin
This scrub is an amazing moisturizer and will keep your skin cells fresh and plump, a sign of good health. This scrub also acts as a powerful antioxidant, freeing your cells of dangerous free radicals.
Mix a bit of ground rice curd with a few drops of rose oil until it makes a paste. Use this as a face mask and leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing.
13. A Natural Foot Scrub To Keep Your Feet Soft And Supple
You need to look after your feet, and this is the ideal scrub to use. Mix some lemon juice with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and another two tablespoons of brown sugar.
Rub this mixture all around your feet and leave it to work its magic for a 15 minutes before rinsing it away.
14. A Pomegranate Lip Scrub To Moisturize Chapped Lips
For people with dry lips, you need to remember that this part of your body needs exfoliation, too. To make those dead lip cells disappear and restore your moisturized mouth, make use of this mixture.
Mix a few ground pomegranate seeds with some fresh cream. Apply this onto the lips and leave it to settle for a few minutes before washing it away.
15. A Baking Soda Scrub To Cleanse Your Body
Baking soda really is a miraculous ingredient. It can work in your cakes and cookies, and it can also work at cleansing your skin.
Mix a quarter teaspoon of this powerful product with some rose water and apply the resulting paste to dry areas of the body like your feet or elbows.
16. An Anti-Aging Coffee Scrub Works As A Powerful Antioxidant
Coffee is super-effective at removing harmful free radicals from your body and livening up your skin cells to prevent wrinkles.
Mix some ground coffee beans with a bit of olive oil until you have a nice paste.
Massage this gently into the face and rinse away.
17. An Oats And Sugar Scrub To Gently Remove Dead Layers Of Skin
Oats and sugar are full of granules that can help to rub away the dead layers of skin that accumulate when you forget to exfoliate. Prepare a bit of oatmeal by soaking some oats in warm water for 10 minutes and mix in a teaspoon of sugar. Add a bit of honey to the mix to make it easier to apply and massage it gently around the face, taking care to avoid your eyes.
How Often Should You Exfoliate?
One should not do exfoliation every single day. Experts recommend that most people need to exfoliate once per week. This might change depending on your skin type. But, it’s a good way to start. Excessive exfoliation will harm your living skin cells. So, don’t do it often. Likewise, you should scrub your face gently. Don’t be too aggressive as this won’t help. Too much of this will end up damaging your living cells and hurting your skin, rather than helping it.
Aftercare When Exfoliating
After exfoliation, your fresh skin cells are ready to break through, so you need to provide them with all of the nutrients and moisture they need. Use a good moisturizer and drink plenty of water to keep your new cells healthy and fresh. Also try to avoid sunbathing or tanning after exfoliation.
The Advantages of Exfoliation
- Freedom from Blemishes: People with blemished skin need to exfoliate in order to obtain a healthier and better-looking layer of skin cells.
Exfoliation will certainly help to remove any marks and discolorations all around your body and face. Remember to moisturize regularly and use exfoliation products in conjunction with a good skincare routine.
- Makes Mark Disappear: Scars and marks can be left from injuries and spots over the years. To help these marks fade away, be sure to exfoliate twice per week. This helps to keep your fresh skin cells growing and developing while removing the damaged or dead layers.
- Opens Your Pores: Oils and other impurities clog up your pores, leading to the buildup of spots. Dead skin cells can often make this problem worse. So, exfoliate regularly to allow your pores to breathe.
- Solves Pigmentation Problems: As you age, dark areas of skin may appear for a variety of reasons. To make these marks and discolorations fade away, you need to exfoliate to remove the damaged skin cells and allow the fresh ones to come through.
- Helps Dry Skin: Dry skin can be boosted by regular exfoliation. Removing excessively dry and dead cells will help fresh layers to arrive. Keep your new cells moisturized by drinking and using creams.
- Prevents Ingrown Hair: Ingrown hair can cause painful spots to appear. Exfoliation helps these hairs to escape by sloughing off the top skin layer that are blocking their path of growth.
Promotes General Health: By exfoliating, you are improving your overall health by boosting your blood flow and helping your immune system. Dead skin cells can make your body spend too much energy trying to get rid of these cells. Thus, you should certainly do your part to help your body in this process.
- Aids in Tanning: If you tan dead cells, your tan will disappear more quickly as these cells will fade away. By exfoliating and then tanning your fresh layer of living cells, you will have a longer lasting tan. However, be sure to use sunscreen and don’t sunbathe too much as it can lead to skin problems in later life.
- For Fake Tanning, Too: The same ideas apply to fake tans. You don’t want to spray fake tan all over dead cells, as this can result in an uneven tan that will quickly fade away. Exfoliate before heading to the salon and you will be much happier with the results.
A Bonus Tip For Beautiful Skin
It can be tough to remember all of the different guidelines when it comes to looking after your skin. Therefore, many people are turning towards natural products that keep your skin looking young and flawless.
One of these safe products Illuminatural 6i cream, available from www.illuminatural6i.com. help to give your skin a unified glow, along with providing your skin cells with all the nutrients they need to stay healthy and look great.
Make sure to check the ingredients to be certain they are entirely natural and contain clinically-proven ingredients that will effectively work to give you the skin you crave.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, so give it the care and attention it deserves. It will thank you later by providing you with healthy, beautiful skin.